Friday, April 9, 2010

"What I Did on My Spring Vacation"

I spent the week in Carlisle, PA visiting the folks and wanted to share some photos of our trip. I debated whether this is relevant to my blog's 'purpose'... but it has a bit of architecture (a beautifully landscaped home), and some design (a fluorescent 'skylight'), and plenty of life (a toddler loving trains!)  I do appreciate that what I do for a living just happens to blend with my life.   Enough talk, here are the pics...

Can you believe this is a bulkhead to a basement?  I love its tiny scale, cheery red door, and moss covered shingles. Feels like it's from a fairy tale.

 
Have you ever seen a charming driveway?  Well, here it is...


Not only does it look nice, but it's sustainable; no repaving or maintenance. And it's better for the environment; less runoff into a near by stream. 

Speaking of the stream, it's a beautiful meandering backdrop to the springtime blooms and sculptural solar clock...


At my parent's house... I took a peak at the new laundry room my dad has been laboring over.  I was quite impressed with his sheetrocking abilities.  Here he inset a utilitarian 2 x 4 fluorescent fixture into a sheetrock soffit.  Given the great light quality, I'd swear it was a skylight... if it weren't in the basement!


Here you can see how the small molding holds in the fixture and allows the panel to be popped out to replace the bulbs.


We took a trip to Strasburg, PA in Lancaster County to check out the railroad museum.  I hadn't been there since I was a little kid so I wasn't sure what to expect.  Wow, I underestimated the grand nature of these majestic machines.


And I was amazed by my 22 month old's excitement! He was in train heaven. Here's what I like to call the 'train dance'...



Did you just have a spring break too?   Where did you go and what did you do?  Please, do tell!

6 comments:

  1. This is your parents house? Wow it does look like a fairy tale. And it must have been so fun watching Levi do the train dance!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the house of my dad's cousin. My mom knew I would enjoy seeing it so we paid them a visit. I believe they said it dates back to the 1790's? That moss has had a long time to grow!

    I wish I would have taken more photos of the house but I had my hands full with the kids! The stone on the house had a brilliantly bleached appearance from so many years of sun exposure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy this takes me back. I was born and raised in that part of the world and I never appreciated it while I lived there. Going back now makes me marvel to say the least. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting my blog, leaving such a wonderful comment and passing my blog onto your sister in law. Love this little entrance you have pictured -especially the Red Door :) I spent some time in PA and absolutely loved it there - probably my favortie place of all the places i have lived.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Paul,

    Funny you say that, I was thinking the same thing as I drove through Carlisle... it's such a great town that I never appreciated while I lived there! I've been in search of something like it in the Hudson Valley but haven't found it yet. Which reminds me of your American Gothic post... there is some great residential gothic architecture in upstate NY. Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, you’re such an inspiration. I love this blog!

    ReplyDelete